Practical Tips to Get the Most Out of Career Fairs
Career Fairs provide excellent opportunities for job seekers to connect with prospective employers. Maximizing your time and effort at a career fair can be accomplished with a few helpful reminders:
- Review the companies participating in the career fair and create a list of those you wish to target.
- If possible, invest in some pre-planning and review the company culture, leadership, product offerings, and/or services by using Google, glassdoor.com, or indeed.com.
- Fine-tune/tailor your resume to reflect how your transferable and core skills align with the employer’s requirements.
- Details matter; take pride in your appearance. Dress to land the job. Iron out any wrinkles in your clothing, freshen your breath, cover any tattoos, avoid wearing perfume or cologne, carry a portfolio or briefcase in your left hand to leave the right hand free for handshaking. To avoid being rushed, get your attire ready the night before; this helps with organization and planning.
- Be kind and considerate: If you can speak with a hiring professional at the career fair, obtain his or her business card and contact information and send a thank-you letter within 24 hours of the career expo. This is an opportunity to further express your interest in a position while thanking them for their time.
If you need help with writing an executive resume, professional resume, or LinkedIn profile we can help. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or toll-free 1-888-607-7793.